Thursday, March 5, 2009

Apple Spice Bars


It is only day 5 NaBloPoMo and I find myself already struggling to get this post up. It is not for lack of material to post but a lack of creativity. I find I don't know what to write. I don't know what to say to inspire to get to your kitchen and make the recipes I'm posting. I find great joy in my kitchen. And when I am successful I find even more joy.

Maybe that is why I am struggling today. I have lost my joy. I am frustrated with circumstances in my life. I want answers. If I can't have an immediate answer than give me some hope that we can find one in the future. I want to feel normal. I don't just want to just feel normal, I want to be normal! I realize for many of you that little tantrum doesn't make any sense but that is what is on my mind right now. Those are the thoughts clouding my mind.

These bars however, give me great joy! It is the next best thing to a homemade apple pie without all the work. This recipe is super easy to whip up. The longest prep is the slicing and dicing of the apples. Truthfully, if the apple cutting was any easier, these would be in my house far too often! I love the spice combination of cinnamon and nutmeg mixed with a touch of clove. And the house smells wonderful when they are in the oven!

The original recipe comes from Katie at Good Things Catered. I have made a couple slight changes but you can find her original recipe here.

Apple Spice Bars

Ingredients

2 cups plus 2 Tablespoon flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2-3 apples, peeled, cored and diced
cinnamon sugar mixture for sprinkling

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Give it a good coating, these are sticky when cooled.
In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.
In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugars and butter. Beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine. Add vanilla and beat to combine. Fold in apples. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar mixture.
Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 30-4- minutes. Remove from oven and let cooled completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving; bars will be very soft.

No comments: