Saturday, February 2, 2008

Grilled Salmon Marinade


One of our cooking resolutions is to expand Jake's palate. He doesn't like a number of vegetables or seafood. Since, I wanted to introduce more healthy options for both of us I needed to introduce Jake to some new foods. His first comment upon seeing the fish was "It has scales on it??!!" (its a slow process!)
He has had salmon once before and didn't love it but said he'd be willing to give it another try. I found this super easy marinade recipe and we both loved it.
I have actually made it twice now. The first time I followed the recipe exactly. As much as I love it I thought there wasn't a need for so much oil. I know marinade wise, it breaks down the fish but it just came out a little too oily. So, the second time we made it I only used 1 Tablespoon of oil. It was certainly less oily but I think I can still do better. I may try eliminating it altogether and try a red wine.
Enjoy!

Grilled Salmon with Soy-Brown Sugar Marinade

1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets (we also use salmon steaks from time to time)
lemon pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste
1/3 C soy sauce
1/3 C brown sugar
1/3 C water
1/4 C vegetable oil

Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a large, resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Preheat grill for medium heat.
Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the preheated grill, and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

Source: Allrecipes and I Bake. and Cook?
Photo: my kitchen

Husband Rating: B, He is learning to like the new texture and flavor of fish but A+ for the marinade.
Wife Rating: A+, I wish I had made more!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read you are not supposed to salt salmon before grilling and that you shouldn't marinate too long or fish begins to cook in marinade.