Monday, March 10, 2008

Oatmeal Chocolate Filled Cookies

So, I'm catching up on some blogging. I made these for my friend Hannah for our JKnottie January Baking Exchange. My MIL bought me a individual sized brownie pan for Christmas that I had been wanting to put to good use when Hannah told me she liked brownies and bar cookies! Perfect.

I had also been wanting to make my favorite bar cookie. My mom would only ever make these to take some where. And rarely would she leave a couple at home for me and my siblings. I have even been known to go buy them when she took them to bake sales!

I loved the new pan and as stated these cookies are one of my favorites. However, the cookie is done in layers so it was a tedious process to put it together. Next time I experiment with the new pan, I think I'll find a pour-able type recipe!


Oatmeal Chocolate Filled Cookies
Source: Iris Cote-Brier Hill Fireman's Auxiliary Country Cookbook
Photos: my kitchen

Ingredients

Dough:
1 cup butter
2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cup quick cooking oats

Filling:
1-12 oz package chocolate chips
15 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (any variety-optional)
2 teaspoon vanilla


Directions

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in oatmeal. Ass dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Set aside to make filling.

Mix chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, butter and salt together in top of double boiler and melt. When smooth, add nuts and vanilla.

Spread 2/3 oatmeal mixture in bottom of 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch pan (jelly roll pan). Cover with chocolate mixture. Scatter pieces of remaining dough over the chocolate.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting.




2 comments: