Monday, March 10, 2008

Easter Dinner????

I am hosting Easter dinner and for months I have been trying to think of something new and fun to make. I am cooking for 8 in my tiny little apartment. It should be interesting to say the least!

My MIL has hosted Easter dinner for the past couple of years and I've loved it. However, since this is my first time hosting a holiday in my home, I want to make it mine.

The thoughts I do have are (and these are just thoughts):

ham
stuffing
green bean casserole
potatoes w/gravy
corn
dessert??

It just doesn't seem unique. Its also very heavy and I'd like to make it much more figure friendly. Thoughts??
What are your family traditions? (and please share recipes!)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

For Easter we always have:
roast lamb with green mint jelly. Asparagus usally steamed then seered in a pan with garlic and butter
Baby red potatoes with butter and dill
some sort of fruit salad
for dessert it we always have strawberry shortcakewith fresh whip cream, lamb cake, and coffee.
The lamb cake is acutally just a white cake with white frosting covered in coconut made in a lamb shaped pan. It's cute and I've made it with my grandma every year since I can remember. For Strawberry shortcake we cut up fresh strawberries then take the extra ripe pieces and puree them with some sugar to pour over the top. We buy a container of whipping cream and make fresh whip cream to top each cake off.

April said...

Ours is pretty traditional as well - ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, rolls, broccoli salad, deviled eggs, etc. Nothing too exciting. :)

zebe912 said...

The tradition on my dad's side is to make duck for Easter. I've just done internet searches over the years to find new recipes. I think I've made some with cherry sauce, mango chutney, and maybe even a raspberry sauce. They were all pretty yummy. You will probably need more than one duck for 8 people though. Or you can make duck & ham to offer a choice.

Beth said...

BB-asparagus is a great idea. Jake and I eat it all the time! I love the sound of red potatoes with dill, I might have to try that before Easter!

April-I forgot my SIL loves deviled eggs, thanks for the reminder!

Zebe-My MIL made lamb last year for the first time and it wasn't a big hit. I think I'll play it safe with a ham. But I love the idea of making a sauce for it to make it different. Thanks!