Tuesday, June 24, 2008

TWD: Mixed Berry Cobbler


This week our TWD host was Beth from Our Sweet Life. She chose a perfect summer dessert. However, Dorie threw in a twist! A mixed berry cobbler with frozen berries. I have to say I was surprised when Dorie recommended them. Fresh berries were an option if we so chose but I'm a picky eater sometimes. I don't like cooked fruit. I'm a texture eater and for those of you who share that with me, you understand what I mean. There are certain foods that I just can't eat based on texture. I make one exception when it comes to cooked fruit, my grandma's apple pie. Other than that, if the fruit is cooked and mushy I won't eat it.

Enough about my eating issues because this week's recipe changed that for me. I found frozen berries at Target and for what I considered to be inexpensive. I chose a bag each of mixed berries, raspberries and blackberries. Once cooked, these berries did not lose their structure. They were not mushy! I couldn't believe it.

The recipe came together very quickly. On the recommendation from fellow bakers who baked before me this week, I added cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla to the crust for flavor. It was perfect. My husband loved the crust too.

I was tempted to skip out this week but I'm really glad I pushed myself to try something new. To see more fabulous looking cobblers visit our TWD blogroll.


10 comments:

Tara said...

Great looking cobbler! YOur topping looks perfect!!!

ostwestwind said...

I always think of Xmas, if I read cinnamon :-). Well done, great work

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Engineer Baker said...

I love that TWD forces me to try things out of my comfort zone too. I'm glad you liked it!

April said...

I'm glad you pushed through this week because your cobbler looks really good!

Susie Homemaker said...

i almost opted out, too...glad we didn't, aas this was a nice and easy one...tasty too! great job!

Bungalow Barbara said...

So glad you tried it and liked it!

Jules Someone said...

Yum! Glad you tried it and liked it!

noskos said...

Looks great! Well done!

Shari said...

At least it was easy. Looks delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jaime said...

glad you didn't opt out of the recipe! it looks great - i love cobbler - you should try the peach/blackberry recipe in my post (i use frozen for that too)